Excessive intake of any drugs, including those that do not require a doctor’s prescription, is always fraught with unpleasant consequences. This also applies to vitamins, including such a popular one as vitamin C, which many, against the background of the end of the tangerine season and the onset of spring beriberi, begin to take in tablets. Alexey Vodovozov, a toxicologist, told about what happens with an overdose of ascorbic acid.
How to Avoid Vitamin C Overdose
The risk of getting side effects from taking ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is small, which is why it is taken without a prescription from a therapist. However, it is important not to exceed the recommended daily doses, which range from 50 to 110 mg.
As the specialist recalled, any substance can turn into a poison for the body if taken too actively. Therefore, doctors call the maximum allowable dose of 2 g of ascorbic acid per day.
What happens with an overdose of vitamin C
In case of an overdose, there is a risk of experiencing nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. And if you take excessive doses of the vitamin for some time, in men it will increase the risk of kidney stones.
Healthy drink with vitamin C
Earlier, nutritionist Elena Solomatina called rosehip broth the most useful drink at this time of the year, which has a positive effect on immunity due to vitamin C. This is especially important in the spring for older people. It also has a diuretic effect, which helps lower blood pressure.